Tuesday, January 26, 2010

milk and snow bunnies

There are new summer yarns at the yarn store. Deliiiiiiicious summer yarns. My favorite shade of pink. Shiny stuff. Yarn that looks like it should be in a Klimt painting. Vibrant colors - for some reason I'm really being drawn to orange and yellow. Lots of tape yarn (have no use for tape yarn, but it's pretty). Incredibly soft yarn. Exciting new fibers.

See, continental Europe hasn't picked up on all the exciting new fibers out there. And there are a lot less handdyers and handspinners and small yarn companies. There are some, but definitely not as many as in the US, UK or Canada (don't know about Australia). So ever since my favorite yarn company, Lana Grossa, started releasing a line of organic yarns with non-common fibers, I've been over the moon and tempted to try them all. I got a lot of single balls for cowls, mittens and the like.

I've tried their cotton, bamboo and soy yarn, cotton and soy yarn (soy! unheard of! and there's even soy sock yarn) and the wool and alpaca yarn, and dang, I never got around to trying their yarn with maize fiber. But! Yesterday I bought a ball of yarn consisting of cotton and milk protein. It's called Latte and it's soft and pretty and I just wanted to try it.



I've been wanting to try it ever since I saw it. I wanted to get my hands on that milk yarn and squoosh it until it liquidized. I wanted to knit something with it. Something white. Something cute. Something squooshable.

Enter Natsume Yuujinchou, second season, second episode. Natsume Takashi, the protagonist, is able to see all the spirits that live in everything and can inhabit anything in Japan. Some of these are evil, some are good, many are neutral. While he's trying to return the names of the spirits that his grandmother collected in a book, he also comes across spirits that have turned evil for a reason or need his help and he tries his best to help them. It's sweet and sometimes sad and makes you a little wistful, but it isn't one of those anime that take a katana to your heart. For a katana-to-your-heart-dealing-with-spirits anime, try Mushishi.

In this second episode, a forest guardian spirit living in a statue needs Natsume's help but tries to possess him first. Natsume evades possession and the spirit, Gen, possesses a snow bunny that Natsume made instead.



Yeah, you can see where that ball of Latte is going.

No comments:

Post a Comment